News
Community
Get Access, Support Midair!

Forums

News

Community

Get Access, Support Midair!

Event 'Bring Your Own 5' LCTF Tournament - Signup and Recruitment thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Swordfish, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Dose

Dose Alpha Access

Awesome Tourney, thanks to Egg and omelette for getting me some games and the midair team for putting on a top notch event. Legends

2. Nark

Nark Instant Access

GGs all, glad we had so many people playing.

Future, Jon_Osc and Swordfish like this.
  3. Egg

Egg Member

Great event peeps! Thank you, and well played!

Jon_Osc and Swordfish like this.
  4. miri

miri Instant Access

GGs all, was fun. Let's not have such a big gap between this and the next event. Or maybe just a ladder?

Future likes this.
  5. Wildefyr

Wildefyr Instant Access

I had a good blast playing this tourney, looks like others did as well. A well ran production on stream as well. However with the benefit of hindsight let's discuss what could have been improved:

• The server quality was poor. Generally high amounts of jitter with an occasional big warp. Not sure what caused this but it did improve somewhat later in the playoff brackets.
    • The swiss round was in general over too quickly considering it was the part of the tourney that was run the best and I thought particularly exciting. A fair amount of teams in the swiss round also didn't get to play a team that was close to them in strength. Probably the biggest losers of this were rektm and teasports only playing 1 team close in strength in the swiss round. A couple more rounds would have helped perhaps.
    • Deciding who gets through to a playoff bracket using cap differential SUCKS. Use preselected tiebreaker maps if needed, or alternatively send 8 teams to the upper bracket and the rest to the lower one.
    • Some people had an issue with ph33ky casting. Overall I thought it wasn't bad, and much better than the bunch that did the draft tourney over a year ago. Main thing would be that he is not particularly familiar with Midair which meant he got hype over plays that were really standard, and just the 'always shouting' part others had an issue with.

I do think a ladder will suit the game much better than a one day tourney as games can be arranged during anytime of the week and potential for bo3's with closer teams more often. I think the one day tourney style events are probably run best as a 'seeded' draft tourney because it gives more excitement over working out which team is going to work best with each other and who could win it. In such a small community, was it any surprise that t+ managed to win without dropping a map? I think the best team showing consistency over time in a ladder situation is more entertaining because teams will form specifically to try and beat them.

Really though, this is a good first step by the devs to attract new people. We need to keep the momentum going now up to release.

Dose, LM SpydeR, DÆMAN and 4 others like this.
  6. Future

Future Alpha Access

tournament was great. it was really nice being able to play some games with the boyz against other teams of 5. i was hesitant about a ladder before full release, but now getting a taste of 5v5 competition, it would be cool to do like a "pre-release season" or something along those lines.

shout outs to t+ for bringing it home, the teams that made it to the semi-finals/finals - you earned it for sure, there's so many beast players in this game already. to the organizers, admins, and casters for doing an awesome job organizing everything and keeping the live stream entertaining.

to piggyback off fyr's post - servers were a little bit of a factor in losses and victories with the sudden (and sometimes often) lag spikes, was probably worse for me because i'm west coast though. it'd be cool to get some solid servers for a seasonal ladder type thing if we do that.

all in all, 10/10 experience despite the initial knee-jerk reaction i had on forums, would do again.

:)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    miri, Dose, thecaptaintea and 3 others like this.
  7. Schreq

Schreq Private Tester

Was really enjoyable. Wasn't a fan of 20 minute matches but I understand why it was done and the whole thing was very smooth besides server hiccups and settings. The latter was a bit annoying to get games going with auto team balance on.

Thanks to the organizers & casters and gz to t+ and rektm.

8. Rosco

Rosco New Member

qouted for my prediction :)

9. HautSoss

HautSoss New Member

P33 is a casting legend. That's just his style, always has been. I think it's hilarious. Where's Nordramor these days? He was really good as well. Wonderdog was also a beast.

10. ColonelBlair

ColonelBlair Member

I got in contact with those guys during my hunt for t2tv matches to convert to YouTube .. I got a few up but still on the lookout for more.
    I got in contact with nordramor through reddit...I'm pretty sure I got onto wonderdog too can't remember now

Nexjen89 likes this.