News
Community
Get Access, Support Midair!

Forums

News

Community

Get Access, Support Midair!

Dev Build 0.30.0 - Let's Talk About It

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KindaGamey, Feb 6, 2018.

1. KindaGamey

KindaGamey Instant Access

https://www.playmidair.com/news/dev-log-19-build-0-30-0-highlights-patch-notes-release-update/
    I'm kind of excited -- what do you guys think? The boys have been working hard!

I haven't tried it yet, but it seems like the addition to the spawn times could be listed in the skill tree. I know designers love a clean screen, but any EZ way you can inform new players of what's going on, do it.

e.g. You want to encourage base play: Have the base generator icon draw attention to itself when it goes down / flashing! excitement! / or if someone says 'repair the generator' in V-chat / what's a generator? show them! /. Hopefully the 'delay' to spawning will be a red text warning that the generator is down which is why you're being inhibited -- or you're forced to regen in the base when the gen is down.

"New and casual players have a better and more intuitive experience playing Spawn CTF than CTF that requires visiting an inventory to get your loadout" -- !!! Oh yes indeedy!

(Guess what, new and casual players hate all the locked private servers too. PUGgers are like the 1% -- they keep getting better and everyone else gets left behind.)

Anyway, good job team. You guys are kicking ass. I hope? Can't wait to try it out.

Edit: Is it true that there's no "Get the enemy flag!" equivalent in V-chat?

2. Wildefyr

Wildefyr Instant Access

Is it possible for you to make a post that is ontopic and doesn't try to blame puggers that just want to play the game?

Egg likes this.
  3. KindaGamey

Here's the thing, if I pugged I would be just as pro-pug and enjoying it and into the feelings of camaraderie and the eliteness of private servers, same as all of you. I'm sure I'd love it. The thing is I don't have the time to dedicate regular chunks of my life to the game. Therefore I'm a dedicated casual. Therefore I can SEE what it is like for new players, as casuals, to try and log into the game and every time only the private servers are filled. I see them bitch about it on reddit. I feel them being driven away.

My skill level will only go up by playing more and when I DO have time I don't get to play and PUGgers do, so either PUGgers are getting better or they stomp all over pubs when they're not private and drive away the players that have persisted enough to find a pub that is actually playing. It's a serious problem that can't be ignored. I understand your response, but it's kind of like a rich guy saying, "quit bitching about all the inequality and tax breaks for the rich and enjoy your gruel!" I want this game to succeed. They noticed that new players are much more comfortable being dropped in with armor and equipment already on -- I was in favor of that. It may not be 'competitive', but competitive people will always be competitive -- we don't need to cater to them.

Why don't you just stick to the subject at hand and quit bitching about my bitching. If you want this game to live you need to realize what the game is communicating to the lowliest player. They're the future man. If there is one.

Pumpelche likes this.
  4. KindaGamey

And for the record I paid $90 into this game and then bought it again and bought it for my brother. You mind if I play?

ramses0 and Pumpelche like this.
  5. Whitewhale

Whitewhale Instant Access

Keep believing that fyr, nark etc etc

I have seen so many of these posts by now

Brilliant stuff

Pumpelche likes this.
  6. Wildefyr

Wildefyr Instant Access

Anyone is free to add to pugs at any time and if someone asks for help on improving there are always people to help. Adding and playing a pug at prime pug time normally takes less than hour. If you're not in pug prime time and/or you don't have an hour to spend then yeah it really sucks but that's unfortunately how the pug system works so we can ensure we have full games. Another thing to note is that the pug community while sizeable isn't massive either. The only leg you guys potentially have to stand on is that having a locked server while all other servers are empty isn't a good look. There have been murmurings of hiding pug servers to stop complaints about having a 'gated' community, but you'd still get naysayers going "LITERALLY no one plays this game." It's not always the best idea to cater to a small subset of players who are probably negative about the game in other ways than just the fact there are locked games.

Playing in pickups almost certainly won't make you a god overnight. Getting good at fpsz games takes countless hours and constant practice. Are pickups a better environment than pubs for learning? Almost certainly, but pubs have lots of other benefits to practice in a way that pickups don't. I think you'd be surprised what the avg skill level of pickups are, it's not at all near some untouchable level that no one else will ever be able to achieve. We've had players come in with very few hours and be immediately competitive. That isn't true of the majority admittedly, but it is possible. Competitive players are also absolutely not catered in any way by the developers. There are very few balance tweaks to LCTF per patch even though the game mode still needs a little work because the developers are working on base and building the game so that it will attract the maximum amount of people possible.

So you're allowed to bitch freely about pug players enjoying the game how they want to, but we're not allowed to retort? I'll tell you what harms the community in the long run: not having open discussion, not giving the developers good feedback, not being welcoming to new players.

No dude not at all. I'm sorry that there aren't the players to support a pub population at the moment but as said a thousand times already the majority of pug players just won't play in pubs at all regardless if pubs were alive and kicking.

miri, Egg and Dose like this.
  7. Dose

Dose Alpha Access

I've never been a pugger until Midair - the community is welcoming and most people are friendly and accommodating. You're always going to get a few wankers in that environment, just like anything in life.

I honestly don't believe the small NA/EU pug community is having an adverse effect on the lack of PUBS - there just aren't enough people to justify that claim.

My 2 cents.

Egg likes this.
  8. KindaGamey

People bitch. Someone comes out and aggressively defends. Conversation stops. Rinse repeat. Therefore it's not a problem? Does this sound like a PR hit to you? The next greatest thing? https://www.reddit.com/r/Midair/comments/7vaqp7/should_i_get_it/

Anyway, I came on here to tell the devs that the tutorials are awesome - so smart, so simple, and will surely get people excited and understanding the mechanics right off the bat. Great great work there.

9. Egg

Egg Member

In all due respect, this pugging business is getting a little boring now. You're making out like if this game fails (which it wont), it's completely our fault just because of a few locked servers.

Could you give us a solution to this pugging problem? What would you change? I'm not being bitchy. Trust me I'm not like that. I understand everyone has their own opinions.

To the developers, great work! We appreciate it!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Dose likes this.
  10. KindaGamey

I really would prefer talking about the update, but it's too late right now to 'fix' the pug 'problem' at this time. The newbies are not logging in anymore, at least that I can see. I don't have access to the stats, but devs had their first window where we had a large influx of newbies and we lost them for the most part. Maybe they'll come back when there's a full release. Then we had the steam release window and again we could see the folks on reddit and the forums who might have been excited, bought it, tried to log in for a week, then ended up dissuading other people from buying by saying things like, "game is dead... servers are empty except for locked servers..." That shit matters. It's all about perception and first impressions. If pugging is intended to be a major part of the game I'd have it built in.

What is it about pugs that differentiates it from regular pub play to you all? Less noobs? But I thought you said it wasn't about skill level. Communication? So build in communication tools / gamespeak. (Just played the incredible Sea of Thieves beta ~ I'd love to see localized chat in MidAir.) Competitive instead of casual focus? What if you had servers labeled competitive and casual instead of beginner and whatever? Here's where we take it serious, here's where you can f* around, have fun, and take your time, not focus so much on winning or taking down an opponent as quickly as possible. When someone logs in MAKE SURE THEY CAN PLAY and don't feel left out. I know you're working up a rebuttal, but save it... just hear me and understand what it does to new players.

I'll try and have 'the pug experience' this week or next if I can. I'm sure I can find the list of instructions readily available somewhere. Do we still use discord? I'll find it. It needs to be as simple as possible to catch the lowest common denominator.

11. Pumpelche

Pumpelche Instant Access

From my reddit post:

Okay.

This Update is a huge leap forward. Congratulations. I feel very confident that, with some meandering, Midair will end up where it should be for attracting many people.

Offering Emergency Spawn is a frigging genious idea! Who had it? Clap

Reservoir is a *scooting* eye-candy. Simply put.

And the Menu grew into a much more mature UI.

The last thing is now my Championate System © idea and you'll knock all out! ;)

KindaGamey likes this.
  12. KindaGamey

13. Whitewhale

Whitewhale Instant Access

Play pubs that’s how games work

Not enough players lol

This would be at least the 20th thread like this , unreal

14. Wildefyr

Wildefyr Instant Access

I'm willing to have a conversation about it with you. I've admitted that there are potential problems with the current system and how it looks bad. The main midair reddit is also well known for having trolls populate it who don't interact with the game in any other way than to sprout negative things about the game, pugs and even certain players.

People didn't stick around because the game was not finished and there are a ton of teething problems around the game, UI, everything basically. I guarantee that on the larger releases we've had a large amount of these players noticed these flaws and thus player retention is low. Throw in the (admitted reduced) learning or even relearning curve of the game from a past title as well, with what I suspect that the majority of players on the influxes we've had have been older players who have played past tribes games like yourself, who don't currently have the time to put in learning an unfinished game and one that doesn't have a large player base (pug playing or not) to begin with.

I would say the main thing right now is that you don't have to wait around in game hoping others join. Instead you can add up and go do something else and even receive the queue pop notification on your phone. Next main benefit would be that the games are what I would call 'focused', where people can play the game 'efficiently' and generally put a decent amount of effort into winning.

You may have noticed a greyed out 'matchmaking' tab in the recent update, which will be likely mean matchmaking will be here on release or even before, and I suspect a large portion of the pug playing community will use this feature regularly.

I have a thread here on everything you need to know about joining a pickup.

KindaGamey likes this.
  15. Egg

Egg Member

Yeah but, that's the thing. You say all this stuff about this pugging business, but can't give any solid solution.
    Anyway, let's keep this thread about feedback. I've created a topic about pugs. Hoping that this won't get locked. Please, get involved...

https://forums.playmidair.com/threads/the-pugging-issue.3477/#post-20615

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  16. Pumpelche

Pumpelche Instant Access

The solid solution - for a first step that does not really hurt - would be: If any pro's who usually PUG are in a PUB game, should have the dignity to finish that PUB game before joining the PUG. This would at least not deliver the strange taste of "Yeah pub's going, nice" to "where did everyone go?" And then potentially engaged people are left alone. What is asked for this: some patience. Midair games don't last half an hour.

The 2nd solit solution is to really rid Discord - for now - out of the equation if you want to have any gaming experience. If you want to *scoot* someone, you don't want to be taken to church or sunday brunch or meet all family, you just want to *scoot*. So don't force people to engage with the whole neighbourhood and relatives and learning the families secret cooking recipies - just allow them to have their *scoot*. Quick. Fine. Both enjoyed it. The player and the game.

17. Dose

Dose Alpha Access

You can't finish a pub and hold up a PUG that people have signed up for though, that's just not cricket! :p

18. Tiberius Khan

Tiberius Khan Alpha Access

It seems to me that the small subset of players who are negative about the game and are being catered too are the ones who won't play at all if they can't play a very specific way. Meanwhile people like me who used to be enthusiastic about this game lose interest because pugs are NOT something that promotes growth.

The real solution here is to get rid of locked games for anything other than testing purposes until/unless the game can support a common pub on its own. Will we lose some players who just want to re-live their T1/T2 days? Yes, but frankly that's a small price to pay.

Whitewhale and Pumpelche like this.
  19. Dose

Dose Alpha Access

"Will we lose some players who just want to re-live their T1/T2 days? Yes, but frankly that's a small price to pay."

That's pretty much the majority of the remaining player base...

Egg likes this.
  20. Pumpelche

Pumpelche Instant Access

True. Today. Months ago it wouldn't have been.