News
Community
Get Access, Support Midair!

Forums

News

Community

Get Access, Support Midair!

Dev Log #23 – 1.0.1.9141 Patch Notes, Midair’s Future

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Midair News, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Midair News

Midair News NewsBot

Greetings Proxies, We’ve been working on a 1.0.1.9141 patch that includes some new content, performance improvements, and fixes that is LIVE as of this post. Let’s take a look at what we’ve delivered this patch and stick around to the end to read up on where Midair development is at now that we’ve been in […]

The post Dev Log #23 – 1.0.1.9141 Patch Notes, Midair’s Future appeared first on Midair.

Continue reading...

2. Whitewhale

Whitewhale Instant Access

So the new game mode we all rallied to make enough $ for won’t be coming I guess

Solid stuff

3. PB*Tech

PB*Tech New Member

I'll be here. Let's make it work.

4. LilysHate

LilysHate New Member

1st of all : THANK YOU!

after watching the empty servers, some of us were thinking about you and the effort you put in this project and we feel for you guys.
    we are old school and we feel you.

I would like to say a few things but idk, let me just say that we APRICIATE all the work you have done.

I read more then once something that made me see some hope (in a logic way). maybe its time to launch a new, second client with new (WASD) movement system. anyone using the WASD client will play with the same users that chose WASD sys, anyone running the original current client will play with users of the same _ (this way the competition will stay pure and anyone from the WASD that would like to enter the gates of valahalla Firm and Fame will have a chance at the original current game).
    just a thought.

THANK YOU.

5. SoundGuy

SoundGuy Private Tester

so you want a separate client with everything the same but with TA movement/physics?

6. severance

severance Instant Access

Argh! I just got decent at skiing...

Any thoughts, reflections, on things you wish you did differently?

7. Armageddon

Armageddon Teapot

MidAir LegionsOverdrive 2.

thecaptaintea, loc and SeymourGore like this.
  8. SeymourGore

SeymourGore #1 Stinkiest NA

Figured this should be shared to anyone out there still following development but haven't logged onto discord.

9. Whitewhale

Like previous devs they arrogantly didn’t listen so it’s truly a full circle, though the rude dismissal of opinions was a new low

Unlike previous devs u had us veterans very early in the piece and had a decent set of basics there. Yet u ignored nearly everything we said , even on basic stuff like the mortar model

Not sure if arrogance or laziness, stuff like refusing to add shazbot was plain arrogance

Congrats bugs, you are hirez Todd now

Dose likes this.
  10. dienasty

dienasty Member

I don't think that's fair. MidAir had a weird task of making a game that means different things to different people. And since the community funded it; trying to appease all on the small budget was never going to work.
    I dunno if the vision was too grand at start OR not clear enough on what the intended game was going to be. Saying a FPS-Z Tribes inspired game ... that leaves open interpretations of what it could be (and most people will assume its "their version" of what they think is tribes [ie. just CTF, or slow tactical 'original' tribes, or renegades, or whatever])

I think they did a decent job. Obviously, there are some things I wish they'd done differently (as I'm sure they do too) . Would be interesting to know what the biggest reason(s) new players stopped playing was. (as well as returning vets)

Gorthaur and p0ke like this.
  11. Wildefyr

Wildefyr Instant Access

Scope was too big. Should have really just nailed down LCTF and released the game with more complete art, UI and overall presentation rather than waste the resources they did on Base. How many man hours went down the drain due to getting vehicles in the game?

12. Pumpelche

Pumpelche Instant Access

I disagree. We saw how little amount of players played LCTF when it was developed. And sorry - LCTF worked just fine. The big bulk was waiting for mass content. To fiddle around. To spend hours figuring out exciting new stuff, combos, etc. LCTF is so stripped down, you'd never be able to build a game up on that. Especially paired with the demanding and niche CTF/Jetpack/Skiing mechanics.

Gorthaur likes this.
  13. SeymourGore

While I agree that LCTF, as it was, was probably too limited, I also agree that the Midair scope was too large. (Vehicles being a particularly ambitious goal). A Legions-style middleground for 'base' gameplay would've been my choice.

I wonder how realistic the KS campaign goals/promises were with the budget Archetype laid out.

I'm curious to see what the current budget is looking like for Midair, where we're at for the Kickstarter physical rewards, and what the plan is if funding is non-existent now.

Whitewhale and wristfracture like this.
  14. Nastyhobbit

Nastyhobbit Moderator Staff Member

given all this hindsight, maybe a softer launch with LCTF and TR3/Jackpot/RocketLeague and go from there.

quite a few ppl wanted mortars, generators, turrets and vehicles tho

Dose likes this.
  15. Wildefyr

Wildefyr Instant Access

Promise these things will come after release - it also would have enabled the devs to always have small regular content updates that they could push out relatively easily into a more polished game (also it would have enabled the devs to release the game on time instead of 6 months past the mark). I also believe Base with it's large playersize never would have worked. I would have targeted a T:A/Legions style Base play that focused around balancing for 7v7. If you look at all the modern games today, they have team sizes of 4/5/6. You never see anything larger than this for games that midair was directly trying to compete against.

LCTF did have some room for expansion still - go look up my post on the plasma gun and getting it balanced for LCTF. Also: it's impossible to gauge how successful LCTF really was on public servers because of the constant switching to base when the players were not there to support it. Lots of newcomers to the genre really enjoyed LCTF for the challenge it brought, I feel if the devs had targetted a more hardcore experience and marketed themselves more based on that

The big bulk of this supposed kickstarter playerbase also never really showed up to play the game (why? it's because they're middle aged folk who played t2c 15 years ago instead of the youth market you really need to capture). Why did the devs continuously throw the existing LCTF playerbase under the bus instead of supporting it more thoroughly and trying to grow it in lieu of hoping some old t2 and t:a players stick around and play an awful and incomplete Base mode?

Dose and Whitewhale like this.
  16. SeymourGore

Way to repeatedly punch Seymour in the heart :-(

Calimo and Nastyhobbit like this.
  17. Whitewhale

The people that wanted all the t2 stuff never play

They forum whore and confuse devs. As fyr said , old dudes who don’t play

Was same in TA

LCTF + some heavies would have been the way to go

18. Calimo

Calimo Instant Access

Oof, I'm turning 30.. So I guess I'm middle aged now... shit :(

But, I'm exactly what you're describing here. I backed the game and then put little to no time in after launch.

For me, I grew up playing Tribes and Tribes2, I *scooting* loved those games. When Midair was announced, it looked like it was going to capture so many great elements from those games, and I was extremely excited for it… But after it launched, I didn’t like it. I knew right away the floaty movement and lack of core features I grew to love from other FPSZ games like LegionsOverdrive not being implemented would just frustrate me. I knew it wasn’t going to be the game for me. Which is fine, it’s the direction the dev’s wanted to take it.. So I just stopped playing.

I didn’t want tribes back though. I wanted something that took tribes and grew from it, and made it its own, like in the way Legions did.. but on a larger scale. Midair had some of that, but not enough. It felt to me like a prettier version of Tribes, I didn’t want that.

I really hope the devs don’t give up. Even if the game doesn’t go the way I want, there is still so much good content in here. I really hope the devs can turn this around and make the game succeed.

Nastyhobbit, Pumpelche and p0ke like this.