News
Community
Get Access, Support Midair!

Forums

News

Community

Get Access, Support Midair!

Midair FAQ

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sharp, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Sharp

Sharp Instant Access

Official FAQ: here. Please feel free to suggest answer edits for this post or suggest questions for inclusion.
    1. Common tutorial questions
      1. Why can't I join a game?
      2. Movement tutorial walk-through
      3. Shooting tutorial walk-through
      4. I have a progression pass, but it's not working.
    2. Common game questions
      1. How do I equip my unlocks?
      2. Why can't I spawn?
      3. I'm losing my unlocked items after restarting my game OR "I'm trying to equip X but it's not working."
      4. How do I go faster? How do I get more height?
      5. How do I use the engineer?
      6. What do these server names mean?
    3. Where else can I talk about Midair, and why use those media?
    4. What kind of computer do I need? I'm getting bad FPS, what are my options?
    5. Why is there a locked server and how do I get in? What's a PUG?
    6. How does air control and speed in Midair compare to other FPS-Z games?
    7. How are these people so good? How do I get aim like in the montages I see?
    8. Random questions
      1. How does one get moved into the backers section on discord?
      2. When does the merchandise like T-shirts and keychains get distributed?
      3. Can players host servers?
      4. Can I buy chests?
    9. I have skills. How can I contribute to the Midair Project?

Common tutorial questions:

1. Why can’t I join a game?
      1. Both tutorials need to be completed before you can access the server browser.
    2. Movement Tutorial walk-through (2:45)
    3. Shooting Tutorial walk-through (3:13)
    4. I have a progression pass but it's not working.
      1. The pass can only be used from the main menu. Make sure you are not in a match.

Common game questions:

1. How do I equip my unlocks?
      1. Loadout Tutorial (short), Loadout Tutorial (long)
    2. Why can't I spawn?
      1. Close your Midair client if it is open.
      2. EXIT your Steam client. (This means right clicking on the Steam icon on your taskbar and clicking Exit.)
      3. Start your Steam client.
      4. Open Midair and attempt to join a server.
      5. Anyone still experiencing issues after completing these steps - message Sin on Discord.
    3. I'm losing my unlocked items after restarting my game OR "I'm trying to equip X but it's not working."
      1. Close your game.
      2. Exit your Steam client. (This means right clicking on the Steam icon on your taskbar and clicking Exit.)
      3. Go to the following filepath: \Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Midair\Midair\Saved\SaveGames
      4. Within this folder, delete the file named "ProgressionCache.sav"
      5. Reopen Steam.
      6. Open Midair, and join a server.
      7. If your issues persist after this, message me here on Discord.
    4. How come I'm moving so slowly?
      1. Maybe you don't have right stuff not equipped. Try equipping Kinetic pack with Ground regen and Energy Regen. This is one of the first unlocks.
      2. Basic Video tutorial with key overlay about jets and thrust vectoring (3 mins)
        1. There is a terminal falling speed cap, meaning that if you fly really high and fall straight down, the max speed you'll get is something like 200. If you have horizontal velocity combined with falling, you can go faster. Matching your landing to the slope of the hill so you don't lose speed at landing will keep your speed better than going higher but landing worse.
        2. Holding direction keys while jetting cause you to jet in that direction instead up straight up, so if you aren’t getting any height try letting go of W.
        3. Don't hold W as you jet. Instead, get some initial horizontal velocity with W and then either hold no directionals or use A and D as you jet.
        4. Try to scope out how far your landing hill is in advance, and jet a lot initially so that you only have to do minor adjustment at landing.
      3. Movement tutorial (4 mins)
      4. Some routes can be found here in the capping compendium.
    • What do these server names mean?
      1. NA/EU/US = server region
      2. Official = Only offers official, fully completed (with art) maps in the rotation of maps.
      3. Game Modes
        1. CTF = You can equip whatever you want in this game mode. The objective is to capture the flag.
        2. LCTF = "Light/Lite CTF". In this game mode, you can only use light armor. This game mode is meant to have a restricted equipment loadout for faster games. The objective is to capture the flag.
        3. TDM = Team Deathmatch. You have teammates, and you try to kill more players on the other team than they kill on your team. There are no "rounds" of play.
        4. Arena = You play a series of rounds - in each round, you only have 1 life. Your team tries to kill everyone on the other team. The round ends when the players on one team or the other have been eliminated.
        5. Rabbit (Rb) = This is one player against everyone else, but that individual player changes depending on whether he has the flag. Everyone in the server tries to kill the player with flag (the "rabbit"), and one accumulates points by either killing the rabbit or surviving while holding the flag for a long time.
    2. Where else can I talk about Midair, and why use those media?
    • Discord: Developers and players are available here. This is also how you access more competitive "Pickup Games" aka "PUGs" which take place in the locked servers. These are open to anyone with a learning attitude.
    • Reddit: Fairly quiet and mostly for sharing content like montages with outside world.
    • Trello: See the past, present, and future of development progress.
    • Twitch
    3. What kind of computer do I need? I'm getting bad FPS, what are my options?

With video cards at the level of 560ti and above, you will not have problems with fps if you lower the settings from max a bit. Below that, you might have to use the suggestions in step 3, especially on certain grass maps. For better video settings:
    1. Go to Options at the top left of your server browser and click on Video. Manually lower the graphics settings.
    2. If this is not enough, you can use the console to get more specific graphics savings, like setScreenPercentage = 80 (instead of 100).
    3. If step 1 is not enough and step 2 is too labor intensive each time, you can can replace the text in your engine.ini file and your game will start up with the changed graphics settings.
      1. Here are several popular configurations with directions:
        1. Descolada's suggestions
        2. Fyr's configuration

4. Why is there a locked server and how do I get in? What's a PUG? Competition?
    This is a PUG (Pickup Game) server. LCTF Pickup Games are 5v5 matches that are a bit more competitive and organized than public games. They typically happen every day.

More information on how to participate can be found in this thread. A good starting point for knowing the strategy in competitive games can be found in this thread. Here's the cast for the recent "Bring your Own 5" LCTF tournament.

5. How does air control and speed in Midair compare to other FPS-Z games? (I didn't know how to place T2 and T:V.)
    • Air control (Most -- Least): Legions, TA, Midair, T1, T2c, T2 (idk about T:V)
    • Speed (Most -- Least): Legions, Midair, T1, T2c, TA, T2 (idk about T:V)
    6. How are these people so good? How do I get aim like in the montages I see?
    • Lots of play time in other competitive games.
    • Practice.
    7. Random questions
    1. How does one get moved into the backers section on discord?
      1. Please just wait a couple days while devs work on slightly more important things for release. Then ask away :)
    2. When does the merchandise like T-shirts and keychains get distributed?
      1. After devs handle higher priority things for release. Then ask away :)
    3. Can players host servers?
      1. Yes, you can rent from branzone.com or swiftnode.com (soon). Archetype is looking into expanding server partners so if you have any ideas, let them know.
    4. Can I buy chests?
      1. Currently, you can only get chests via leveling up.

7. I have some skills. How can I contribute?
    Email [email protected], sharing how you might help the team and linking your work.

Misc:
    Ravesty's introduction to Base CTF

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  2. p0ke

p0ke Private Tester

Very good work Sharp!

Sharp likes this.
  3. Nastyhobbit

Nastyhobbit Moderator Staff Member

nice one, i've been maintaining a Midair FAQ on bittah for a while:

Can I upgrade my pledge to Instant Access?
    you can't upgrade your kickstarter pledges anymore but check https://www.playmidair.com/buy/ for the latest access prices.

Who are these guys?
    find out how midair came about here

What's that link again?
    archetype forums and discord
    aus/nz discord (irc/voip) invite link - https://discord.gg/v9MWv74
    youtube playlist for midair aus/nz
    map gallery

When is alpha and stuff?
    alpha - march 2017
    closed beta / early access - july 2017
    early access open beta - september 2017
    open beta - october 2017

When is the game going to be released?
    Jordan: Release ETA is 1.5yrs after KS - december 2017

Who do we know with IA?
    hobb, petty, danger, rougey, stuby, neogenetix, marv, kustom, rain, grailer, fry, meld, riker, punk, shakey-lo, jester, paradox, concept, xui, whitewhale, iago, nexgen, aceofspades, deathlace, kurupt, lenny, sansius, evangelion, skymarshall heff, 3havoc, nextwish, dodge, mikhail, ragingmoose, a3, sarge, damo, ambient

How much will this game be?
    f2p with aesthetic micro-transactions. can do progression unlocks or a one-time payment (~$30) to unlock everything

Will there be a Voice Game System? (VGS)
    yes, it's called quickvoice. current list of binds is here

How many maps are currently in the game?

18 base, 16 LT, 11 rabbit, 5 arena - gallery

Do the maps go on forever?
    no, has an oob grid for flags and a red oob grid for edge of map

Will there be a 3rd person view option?
    yes

Will there be local animation taunts?
    Bugs: Yes (probably)

Will there be health kits or health regen?
    Jordan: No passive regen. Health packs/nuggets specifics are being talked about but nothing concrete yet.

Will I be able to scavenge weapons/ammo/packs/health kits off people?
    Bugs: Yes, but we might tweak it a bit from what the prior titles do.

How many classes are in the game?
    Jordan: Light (3 weapons) Medium (4) Heavy (5)

What weapons are currently in the game?
    blaster, chaingun, ring launcher(disc), grenade launcher, railgun(snipe), mortar

Will there be vehicles and what kind?
    in base yes, shrike (fighter), tank and bomber are in, the rest is TBD but for now there's this

What deployables are currently in the game?

land/wall/water turrets, sensors, remote inven (no call downs), mines

What packs are currently in the game?
    aegis (shield), arsenal (ammo), kinetic (energy), stealth (cloak), engineer (TM)
    - repair tool is not a pack, it's a belt item that you can pickup for self/asset healing
    - packs can also use one or two augments (list and descriptions of packs/augments here)

What grenades are currently in the game?
    frag only (set to max throw), unknown if flares/missiles are coming

Will there be changeable base turret barrels?
    Bugs: We've talked about it but no firm plan on that yet

Will mines be in the game?
    yes, but no mine-disc'ing

Will there be demo/playback ability?
    unknown

Can I adjust my FOV?
    yes, open console ingame ~ and type "setfov 120"

Can I zoom in and cycle zoom level?

yes, there are both zoom and cycle buttons

Are there hit sounds?

yes

Will there be limited scripting?

unknown

Is there a practice mode?
    sorta, you can play any map offline using the console ~ and type 'open' to see an autocomplete list of all maps/modes. then use up/down arrows to scroll through them and press enter to start.

Sharp likes this.
  4. Wildefyr

Wildefyr Instant Access

Actually the default key for console is ` known as grave or a backtick.

5. Lights_Chaos

Lights_Chaos Member

T:A has two spots in the air control list. Also, I thought most people who talked about T:A's speed and air control thought it was too much?

Gorthaur and Sharp like this.
  6. Jordan

Jordan Community Manager Staff Member

Nice! Solid list. Made one minor change, you can also reach me via the forums :)

If any new questions pop up that you guys need answers to, just give me a ping and I'll be happy to answer them!

Sharp likes this.
  7. ColonelBlair

ColonelBlair Member

T:A is a bit different in that I THINK it's the only game that you could affect your air movement without using jet.
    I've played them all and although it's been a long time since those early ones I'd say the air control list should read:
    Legions, Midair, TA, T:V, T1, T2c, T2

Speed is a tougher one.. I feel that Midair & TA made it easier to get up to higher speeds quicker, due to map design & other game mechanics (thrust, etc) but you had the potential to GO faster in T1 / T2C (especially if you consider Tribes 2 Team Rabbit bouncy grid.. but we prob shouldn't count that).

8. dienasty

dienasty Member

What Engine is Midair ?
    Did someone say there would be map making tools? (or is there a tutorial?)
    is there a legal reason as to why maps that are basically old maps (are called something different? T:A had this also)

9. Fixious

Fixious #1 Internet Sleuth

UE4.
    Yes, after release (hopefully...).
    I doubt there's any legal reason why they aren't using the same name. They just want them to be unique in Midair. They also aren't exact copies, so it wouldn't be right to call them their original name.

10. Sharp

Sharp Instant Access

OP updated!

thecaptaintea likes this.
  11. Donler

Donler Alpha Access

Here's a good one! Is it possible to mute people in midair? The game has only been out for a day and I've already been in with a VGS chat spammer where ppl where getting visibly annoyed

Lights_Chaos likes this.
  12. Rod Stagger

Rod Stagger New Member

Is our base secure?