News
Community
Get Access, Support Midair!

Forums

News

Community

Get Access, Support Midair!

Poll: Requiring a Microphone for PUGS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wildefyr, Apr 2, 2017.

?

Should Microphones be required to PUG?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    49.3%
  2. No

35 vote(s)
    50.7%
  1. Wildefyr

Wildefyr Instant Access

Today, we have experienced the issue of potentially smurfs playing in pickups, making games unbalanced by making picking as a captain much more difficult. Requiring that a player must have a microphone ensures their identity. As the game moves to be cheaper, and eventually free to play, this will be an issue for pickups moving forward.

Please refrain from voting if you don't play pickups, this poll is to gauge current pickup players opinions.

EDIT: Just to make it clear, I personally have no strong opinion one way or the other. Post was made to discuss the issue of smurfing in pickups, along with trying to see how many support requiring a microphone.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  2. Application-1

Application-1 Private Tester

Can't see who voted on what so we can't call em out for elitist nerds this thread sucks.

Wildefyr likes this.
  3. Melur

Melur Private Tester

This is hilarious.

4. miri

miri Instant Access

Microphone HIGHLY PREFERRED.

xD

5. widow

widow Instant Access

Playing 3 pugs and lost all 8-2 is not much fun.
    But who cares, smurf always unbalance his team so... always win...

6. Xzanth

Xzanth PUG Lord

If smurfing is the problem we should ban smurfing. Shutting out people who don't own microphones or don't want to talk doesn't make sense.

Stuby, C_Zachero, powdahound and 6 others like this.
  7. Wildefyr

Wildefyr Instant Access

What's your system for detecting smurfs then without requiring a microphone?

8. slush

slush Private Tester

I voted No. We have vchat now.

Verna likes this.
  9. Jahman

Jahman Instant Access

mic to detect smurf is one issue. but how do you play a PUG well without voice?
    "2 right one midfield one just starting" kinda hard to do in voice chat? the list of times when you need the subtlety of voice over VC is pretty high seems like.

wristfracture likes this.
  10. slush

slush Private Tester

Calling out cappers is a waste of time if youre on O cus they get out anyway

Mabel, Application-1, Sin and 5 others like this.
  11. HeaDCReePS

HeaDCReePS Private Tester

As for d0m, just pick him where his play level should be picked at.

As for future smurfs, without some sort of smurf checker, I don't think banning players without mic's is the answer. d0m is capable of telling me more information than some people do with a mic. Using vgs is fine for these pugs.

It's possible d0m is new to midair and just knows how to play. Who are we to decide what is expected of new players skill levels?

12. widow

widow Instant Access

Is the first solution, then we can find a better one. Doing nothing is stupid...
    Anyway they deleted the account...
    I refuse to comment the post above mine...

13. eightnine

eightnine Instant Access

Maybe d0m is st0lid.

14. Nastyhobbit

Nastyhobbit Moderator Staff Member

should everyone in the pug be on comms? yes
    should the captains have a mic? yes
    does everyone need one? not really, but they do need to be able to listen in

Stuby likes this.
  15. Wildefyr

Wildefyr Instant Access

Well the split vote means that this issue is in a bit of a deadlock for now, we'll continue as we have done, especially since just raising the issue of smurfing has dramatically reduced smurfs to zero in pickups. Perhaps the issue will be raised again when it becomes much easier to create new accounts for free.

16. Ucan

Ucan Private Tester

This is very familiar...where have I heard this before?

wristfracture and thecaptaintea like this.
  17. p0ke

p0ke Private Tester

OK, this is a really clear result! So we do not need a mic for PUGs ;-D

18. japes

japes Private Tester

I think we kind of agreed that no-mic is ok as long as you are in mumble to hear other peoples comms

thecaptaintea likes this.
  19. IcedWinds

IcedWinds Private Tester

The whole point of PUG is a game where we communicate to make it more engaging and competitive, so mic should be required by default. . The added issue of smurfs only solidifies that

20. miri

miri Instant Access

To be fair a large amount of people who have mics don't use them so I don't think it's viable to have any other expectation beyond being willing to join and listen.