News
Community
Get Access, Support Midair!

Forums

News

Community

Get Access, Support Midair!

Shocklance? How to handle a Heavy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gryp, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Gryp

Gryp Instant Access

Are we gonna get a shock lance type weapon at some point?

2. SeymourGore

SeymourGore #1 Stinkiest NA

Not sure what they have left for an art team (is there a list of current active devs somewhere?), but maybe they could use that old blaster model with the finger poke as a placeholder for the time being.

Also, I was going to check trello to see if melee weapons are mentioned, but found it to be offline. Anybody able to access it at all or am I using the wrong link?

3. Fixious

Fixious #1 Internet Sleuth

Works for me - https://trello.com/b/r3YiYIoy/midair-top-user-issues

Melee is in the Planned column.

4. SeymourGore

SeymourGore #1 Stinkiest NA

5. Gorthaur

Gorthaur Instant Access

I have been using the sniper rifle as a stand-in for shocklance for now. It's one of the few quick, satisfying weapons for a light (along with disk and grenade launcher) and is almost instant at close ranges. Of course it is much better against lights than heavies though. You can pull off combos like a quick midair+snipe to finish, and leading shots at long range feels challenging and fun. It is extremely powerful and could easily be overpowered if someone good at sniping used it. I find blaster to be completely unsatisfying because of the weak sound effects and spammy nature. It would be nice to have a pure shotgun weapon instead of having the charge-up mechanic. Use the existing behavior but with no charge up and give it the sound effect from the sticky launcher. I believe that's just a shotgun SFX it uses. Lack of hitscan+slower rate of fire keeps it higher skill than T:A at least. Most of the skill doesn't come from using close range weapons so much as memorizing the maps and getting good enough at movement to get close enough to your enemies to use them.

I do miss shocklance because it is the perfect weapon for light class. It's a class that is about getting in fast, engaging, and then running away if things go bad. Also sneakiness. Slower, sustained damge weapons that punish enemies for floating around (chaingun, blaster, autoshotgun) are more suited to heavy classes, but quick burst damage weapons like lance are great for lights.

I find using chaingun as a light to be very awkward. It's fine as a slower moving heavy but I need quick weapons as a light, especially when navigating complex terrain at high speeds. Holding LMB and mindlessly spraying for extended periods isn't satisfying, doesn't feel skillful and doesn't fit with a fast-paced class well. It's also hell for newbies not used to leading shots. Spectating them trying to land a single bullet on an enemy with a chaingun that is moving fast at an angle is painful. Chaingun is best way to kill heavy I have seen. When I was dueling heavy vs heavy I just sprayed chaingun at him until he died. I briefly considered switching to grenade launcher and disk for a few shots but realized it would be a waste of time.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018