News
Community
Get Access, Support Midair!

Forums

News

Community

Get Access, Support Midair!

The pugging issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Egg, Feb 7, 2018.

1. KindaGamey

KindaGamey Instant Access

Saturday 2/11/2018 1:33PM - logged in, only locked servers, logged out.

lazy likes this.
  2. Whitewhale

Whitewhale Instant Access

Deleting non abusive posts doesn’t help anything

ramses0 likes this.
  3. thaemlitz

thaemlitz New Member

To be fair though, in more popular games like CS:GO or Overwatch, there's always people that will only play ranked mode. Why should they have to spend time doing something they don't normally do? And why should they take the blame if the playerbase simply isn't big enough to support casual games that happen organically? I think that's the point being made here.

4. Egg

Egg Member

I probably shouldn't have gone off on one. My apologies.

Anyway, I seriously think it's out of our hands now. Not sure what else we could do to be honest. I wonder is the developers are worried. I'd really like to hear what they have to say about the player size...

5. SeymourGore

SeymourGore #1 Stinkiest NA

Yar, that's true and why I don't get upset with the puggers (who have even kept my beloved Legions alive with the occasional pug). It could very well be that opening the pugs won't have an effect on engaging and drawing in the playerbase.

With that said, I entirely agree with @KindaGamey that it's an ugly sight when a player logs into Midair and is greeted by empty servers and/or locked populated servers. The optics of that are terrible.

The f2p phase can't come soon enough.

6. KindaGamey

I was just playing with a guy named 1Man1PUB Nvr Players :/

Anyway, to counter my negative post I just wanted to say at 7:20 or so there was a locked server, but 4 hanging out playing rabbit and it was fun! I'm totally amazed that people go disc-only voluntarily without even talking about it. That would have never happened in T:A.

7. KindaGamey

8. japes

japes Private Tester

If 10 people in a pug server kills the game, the issue is with the game not the people pugging.

We had critical mass for pubs for a few days after most big shifts in the game IA release > alpha etc, they always died out after a few days.

What makes people think that having those 10 people stop pugging will revive pubs? Even if a few of them are the type who don't mind playing pubs vs playing pugs what makes you think they're going to get pubs started any more than the current group of people that want to pub?

ramses0, Dose, Egg and 1 other person like this.
  9. Pumpelche

Pumpelche Instant Access

If they'd sit in pub games, anyone spontaneously looking for a kick, could join instantly. And pug people are dedicated, they play alot. So that would be alot of pub gametime which will create momentum and soak in more and more players.

So if people say that pug players (comps) are useful to perfectionize the game - I agree. They have their visionary job. Like the Formula 1 for the car industry and the Investment Banking for the 'decent' peoples financial products. Now imagine how much more important those comps would become, if it is them to juice up the momentum and be the stable, reliable anchor that does not just attract new players but actually allow that this game becomes a success for more than 20?

10. japes

japes Private Tester

People play pugs because it's easy to get a game not because they are dedicated...

Sign up for a pug and you're guaranteed a full match when you start the game with even teams/people trying. This is vs idling a pub server for hours waiting for people to join, which of these do you think takes more dedication to "saving the game".

I get that it's frustrating to not have pubs going, but there is literally 0 reason or evidence that shutting pugs down will suddenly make everyone realize they want to idle empty server starting pubs. The game needs a global playerbase boost, or something at its core to change to hook people into pubbing. This isn't solved by stopping the few people who do actively play the game from doing so.

In the meantime pugs are open to everyone and have an incredibly varied skill level. So other than people being lazy and not wanting to use voip or sign up there isn't really anything holding brand new players back from joining them.

Dose and Nark like this.
  11. miri

miri Instant Access

I honestly can't believe that you and others are obnoxious and arrogant enough to suggest that people should literally be your slaves so that you can get something you're not willing to do anything about yourself. For the 1000th time: all you're doing is complaining, and literally doing NOTHING of any value to help the situation. Complaining about it on a public forum is, in fact, just making it worse - at least in the sense of perception.

There are no pubs because there is a low amount of players. Stopping people who are actually playing the game from playing is not going to fix that. Try to get that through your thick, entitled skull before posting more none sense like this. It's just offensively stupid.

12. Pumpelche

Pumpelche Instant Access

I actually don't try to tell what you've lined out above. But, well, yes. I still hope that at the very end, we're all having a bubble.

13. Groove

Groove Instant Access

maybe we should be talking more about why the pub population never stuck around after any big monument that was supposed to bring in those players

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Pumpelche and Whitewhale like this.
  14. Whitewhale

Why base pubbing has failed is the critical question

I have my opinions which are possibly representative of a number of others

This stuff about insufficient players is a massive red herring , we had pubs here in Aust for ages and have a tiny player base

Not sure why abusive posts are cool but non abusive ones get deleted but hey Shazbot forever

Make pubs great again

Pumpelche and SeymourGore like this.
  15. Nidums

Nidums New Member

This game doesn't have enough active players for consistent pub games to ever work. PUGs are easy you sign up do w/e you want play when it starts.

Gorthaur and Egg like this.
  16. Egg

Egg Member

The reason I don't (didn't) like base is kinda stupid. But, when there wasn't spawn CTF I hated having to go to the Inventory deployment thingy just to change my loadout every time I respawn.
    Another thing I don't like is having a pro on vehicles. It's just way overpowering and unfair. Not sure if the guided missile has changed things as I've not played in a while.

Call me boring but I like consistency. Disc, chain and grenade with the exception of mortar and stuff. This makes things equal and fair to me. It's just my personal preference.

I've not played CTF in a while so I'm not sure what's changed. But, yeah I'd like to give it a go again in a PUB or PUG.

Regarding PUBS:
    Maybe there is a possibility that because there was issues with base, it drove people away? Then may have thought LCTF was boring or something... I have no idea.

I'd like to play pubs again. Pugging isn't something I do all the time. I've actually played a lot of pubs and still do (when I have time). Sometimes though, I like a bit of competition and that's when I join a pug.

Whitewhale likes this.
  17. KindaGamey

I'd love to play competitively as soon as I get back up to speed, but I'm not able to practice when I DO get on and fire up MidAir so I'm trapped in a vicious cycle. (And now I just bought Kingdom Come Deliverance, when the hell will I have time to do anything.)

When I was supposed to join a pub I managed to -add 1 (I don't understand the rest of it), but then I freaked out and didn't know how to exit -- a) I was way too high (edibles + smokey) b) I realized I miss my shots way too often and needed more practice c) I didn't have any of my old loadouts unlocked (I know I can turn that off, but I don't want to. I want to see how it plays) and d) my Mumble wouldn't connect to that damn server.

I want to just jerk around in pubs until I'm landing those mids consistently and then I'd love to try a pug. (Have you noticed mid-airs on someone who doesn't dodge is like night and day different?) The problem for me is, it means I need a consistent 15-20 minutes where I know I'm going to be playing and NOT doing anything else. My girl isn't going to call from another room and ask for help, I won't have some chore that comes after me, just gaming. That ain't easy! And I don't want to let anyone down if I have to walk away. The PUG is like real commitment whereas the PUB is just having fun and I can leave at any time without feeling like I let my team down (well, maybe a tiny bit.)

It's amazing how in T:A I always wanted to play things explosives-only (projectile-only) and people would say, "JUST PLAY THE GAME AS IT'S MEANT TO BE PLAYED!", but here PUG-ing is the unnatural act and you all are the ones saying, "JUST LET US PLAY HOW WE WANT TO PLAY!" It's very odd for me to be arguing the other side and I do see the irony.

Here's a moment that exemplified why I like a PUB. I was playing the other day and a duel spontaneously emerged between me and this other dude where we recognized we were similar in skill and enjoyed it so we ignored the flag for a bit and just had fun trying to kill each other. In a PUG that's a sin of the highest order. It's all about winning and flag play, not just *scooting* around. And for me the best moments are those moments when you get really engaged like I did in that duel. I dunno.

18. Egg

Egg Member

I totally understand where you are coming from. When I first started pugging I was always so tense and nervous and that threw me off and I just played terrible. But, you just have to learn to relax and just have fun and enjoy. Now I just relax. The more you play, the more comfortable you will be.

If you need a sub, it's no biggie. There's people willing to sub in if someone can no longer play. Yeah, the game might pause but someone will be there as soon as possible to fill the spot and that doesn't usually take long.

To remove yourself from a queue you just type '!del' without the quotes and that'll remove you from the queue.

There will always be try hards and give lectures if you do something wrong. But, please, just take no notice and enjoy. The less crap you give, the happier you will be :)

KindaGamey likes this.
  19. miri

miri Instant Access

So much about you makes so much more sense now

20. Whitewhale

Define active

There are hundreds of players with access

The reason they are not pubbing will define the success or failure of this game

That’s more than enough for pubs , this ridiculous mantra needs to stop

It’s easily enough for pubs, they just don’t want to play