News
Community
Get Access, Support Midair!

Forums

News

Community

Get Access, Support Midair!

TV Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HassleHOF, Dec 28, 2017.

1. HassleHOF

HassleHOF Member

So I'm gonna be looking to get a new TV to hookup to my computer for both gaming and TV/movies, and I'd like some advice on what exactly I should be going for. First through, I'm working on a budget of anything within the 250$-350$ range, and sized anywhere from 43'-50'. There seem to be a lot of deals going on within that range, so I'm good there. What I want to know is this:

1080p or 4k?
    What brands are solid, and which ones should I avoid?

2. SeymourGore

SeymourGore #1 Stinkiest NA

Ahoy hoy,

Just actually made the same decision to purchase a TV to hook up my PC to. I ended up going for a Samsung MU6290 40" 4K monitor as it supports Chroma 4:4:4 (which is a necessity if you want to use it as a PC monitor, which I am). I've only had it a couple of days now, so haven't had a chance to really test it out - but I'm enjoying it when I do use it.

I'd absolutely recommend 4K over 1080p. I tried using a 1080p 40" as a separate gaming monitor, and while it was alright for gaming, the windows desktop looked terrible. I ended up giving that tv to the wife to watch her Riverdale or whatever the hell she watches on Netflix.

If you're worried about not having the grunt power to game comfortably at 4K, 1080p scales well on a 4K monitor. It's what I do for the Witcher 3. I have the tv about 3-4 feet away, video settings set to ultra at 1080p and it looks great.

I haven't had an issue with latency, but I'm by no means an esport/competitive player (and played for years as a HPB), so that feels fine to me.

Anyhow, check out www.rtings.com for TV reviews (they do thorough testing, including PC use) and www.hardforum.com is another good resource for 4K TV information.

HassleHOF and Jon_Osc like this.