News
Community
Get Access, Support Midair!

Forums

News

Community

Get Access, Support Midair!

weather effects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LouCypher, May 7, 2016.

1. LouCypher

LouCypher Alpha Access

What kind of weather effects are we looking towards? How dynamic can/will they be?

Can the datablocks or whatever get sent to the client be modified before sending to dynamically adjust the environment, so a map could change depending on time of day and/or weather conditions?

Or is it always day/night and sunny/raining due to limitations with the map design?

2. Volt Cruelerz

Volt Cruelerz Instant Access

I'm not familiar with UE4 and the details of its capabilities, but what you're suggesting sounds possible. That said, I doubt they'd implement it. As you can see in the stretch goals, they have a lot of things they really want to work on because they would enhance the game, so anything like this would likely be low on the priority list. Making a map that works in both day and night light setups is difficult, not to mention Midair is trying to distinguish itself with its bright color palette. You don't get that if your maps change to night when much of your playerbase will be online.

3. Voidspawn

Voidspawn Miserable Artbot Staff Member

Hi, extensively dynamic maps are not something we're really looking to do. We don't feel like this is something that would really add to the game, and if you look at the norm in multiplayer FPS, pretty much no one does it. A large reason for this is that you're not on a map for very long - thus a day/night cycle doesn't make much sense. Weather effects are, I guess, a tiny bit more feasible but would more than likely just disrupt gameplay (Sandstorm in T:A's Bella Omega). So in general, more static maps suit this type of game much better.

And as always, the resources it would take us to create dynamic weather and time-of-day systems in terms of both the tech and the art assets are a big investment that is probably better spent on something else. And things like this always come with a performance cost as well, which is something we really care about, and I'm sure a lot of you guys do as well.

If you have any further questions and want me to go into more detail, feel free to ask.

Dacil likes this.
  4. Orange Brutus

Orange Brutus New Member

I think considering how much it will tax peoples' machines is a great consideration, but it would be cool to have some maps that will always be foggy, or rainy, or dusty, etc. just to add a little modifier to how that map may be played, etc. :)

WitchDoctor likes this.
  5. The Weirdo

The Weirdo Instant Access

Yeah, static rain effects really added to the atmosphere of some of the Tribes 2 maps. Particularly as the soundtrack was awesome as well, so you'd get into some maps and the rain, the music, the bioderm taunts...it was fun!

The Wolf and WitchDoctor like this.
  6. TylerMarket

TylerMarket Human Goomba

Day/night maps could be used in a story mode if/when one gets implemented... far down the line though obviously

7. Voidspawn

Ah yes, I wasn't at all saying we wouldn't do anything like that.

Making a variety of interesting and appealing atmospheres in our environments is certainly something we're interested in doing as artists! Personally I always try to keep gameplay and performance at the forefront when designing maps or making broader decisions on art solutions we use, but that's also kinda my job. We'll be working super hard to bring you a nice range of exciting places to shoot dudes at. Hopefully we can make you go "wow" with some of the crazier things we do in the future.

TylerMarket likes this.
  8. Boto

Boto Member

There were some lush maps in T2 that had a great atmospheric effect with rain, lightning and thunder. If I remember correctly, you could even get randomly struck by lightning which made an interesting gameplay modifier.

I know that resources, both time and money, is better spent initially to lay the core gameplay foundation but these things would be a great addition later for those of us that enjoy the non-competitive aspects of these games. These atmospheric and dynamic effects, along with lore, create a much more immersive experience that lends to longevity for many casual-minded players.

9. sc4r4b

sc4r4b New Member

Random lighting strikes in Tribes2 was a innovative and cool idea but no one liked getting randomly killed seemingly for no reason. It's all fun and games until you have the flag and then you are randomly struck by lighting.

10. Armoredphoenix

Armoredphoenix New Member

I've always wanted to see the same maps with different weather. Say instead of the same ole raindance, might have snow, heavy fog, storm variations. Could even have increased gravity (huge parent comes close in orbit)/ decreased gravity, other random astral anomalies.

I thought this could bring a new element from the same ole maps.

11. Mindflayr

Mindflayr Moderator Staff Member

THis happened on StoneHenge at 1 of the LANs, while the Capper was on the Big Screen. The room was stunned, and then filled with laughter over 1 guy exclaining loudly "What the *scoot*".

12. LouCypher

LouCypher Alpha Access

I had a script in T2 that would change the skybox based on time of day. I could have extended it to adjust the Sun and Sky objects further to change position of lighting, add precipitation, and lightning if desired. It wasn't something that changed during the map, it only made it appear different to the client upon connection to the server, and didn't change while the map was being played.

If Midair uses static lighting of assets I could understand there being visual issues, but otherwise it doesn't seem like it would be a performance hit doing something similar.

13. Voidspawn

That's pretty neat, didn't think you'd be able to do something like that.

And yes, we use static lighting all across except obviously in cases where moving/changing lights are required. Thus changing any lighting conditions dynamically isn't an option.

14. SeymourGore

SeymourGore #1 Stinkiest NA

This kinda ties into weather effects: can you confirm there will be 'water splashes', @Voidspawn ? Kinda bothered me watching the pre-alpha footage.

15. Voidspawn

Uhh yea I guess I can confirm that as much as I can confirm any sort of polish pass thing like that; not something we'll be able to dedicate resources to right now while focusing on higher priority things that have a much bigger impact visually but I'm sure we'll get to things like that eventually. It's nice touches like that that really ground you in the world.

EC_Lee likes this.
  16. Gorthaur

Gorthaur Instant Access

Definitely. It's amazing how the addition of light rain or snow to certain maps and a few ambient bird or frog sounds really solidified the atmosphere. It explained the existence of the heavier fog and just really helped sell the illusion that it was a real place.

One thing that would be cool is modifying existing maps to have flooded or overgrown versions that change the gameplay up considerably.

EC_Lee likes this.
  17. Mindflayr

Interesting idea, and suprised we didnt see a lot of this with the ez mapping of t1/t2 and tv. Abaddon but the Lava Overflowed. Riverdance but the water level rose 20 ft, etc etc etc. Banshee with even More Trees for him to hit on his routes.

18. WitchDoctor

WitchDoctor Instant Access

I dont want to start a thread over something so trivial, but will the water work similar to T2 where you can ski across it and skip the rings? I loved that feature and it really seemed ahead of its time. One thing i didn't like about the water map on T:A is that it was strictly aesthetic and didn't make any impact on gameplay at all.

19. Shankypoo

Shankypoo Moderator Staff Member

I kinda like the whole skipping across water at the right speed/angle :D.

WitchDoctor likes this.
  20. Mindflayr

tv water both allowed skimming the surface, and going into it which was so buyoant it could actual give you speed if you can ski. another of the very few things i liked about that game.

WitchDoctor likes this.